The name of the Programme: Bologna Doctoral Study Programme Organization and Management of Human Resources and Educational Systems
The title obtained by the graduate: doktor znanosti, doktorica znanosti (Doctoral Degree, PhD in abridged form)
Duration: The study takes 3 years (6 semesters).
The Objective of the Programme
The essential objective of the Organization and Management of Human Resources and Educational Systems Doctoral Study Programme is to educate top-experts and managers from the field of Organization of Human Resources and Educational Systems. The Programme leans to the broad field of organizational sciences and, in it foundations, covers the broad theoretical knowledge which is intertwined with the practical use. Thus, the Programme trains the students for the work and solving of problems also in the complex organization systems.
Conditions for Promotion to the Next Year of Study
In order to progress from the first year of studies into the second year of studies, the students in their Third-Cycle of the Organization and Management of Human Resources and Educational Systems Study Programme, have to complete certain duties along the Study Programme to the extent of 45 ECTS points in their current year of studies, whereas it is mandatory to pass the exam from the subject “Scientific Research of Social Phenomenon” and duties deriving from the individual research work.
When progressing from the second year of studies to the third year of studies in the Third-Cycle of the Study Programme, the students have to complete duties to the extent of 50 ECTS point of their current year of studies and all the duties deriving from the first year of studies.
A candidate who has not completed all study duties may, in accordance with the provisions of the University of Maribor and on the basis of a written application, request the Commission for Scientific and Research Affairs of the Senate of the Faculty of Organizational Sciences, University of Maribor for the enrolment in the next year of studies if the candidate submits documentation with justifiable reasons. The conditions for the repetition of a year, exceptional enrolment, and an extension of the student status are defined in:
- Statute of the University of Maribor (Statute UM-UPB10, Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, Nos. 46/2012 and 28/2014),
- Criteria for assessing the students’ applications and justifiable reasons in accordance with Articles 85, 121, and 212 of the Statute of the University of Maribor (Notification XXVII-3-2009).
The applications are considered by the Commission for Scientific and Research Affairs of the Senate of the Faculty of Organizational Sciences, University of Maribor.
The students, who have not completed all the duties in order to progress to the next class of the same Study Programme, can repeat the year once in the Higher Education. Moreover, the student’s decision to change the Study Programme or the Course for failure to fulfil the study duties under the previous Programme or Course will also be regarded as a repetition of the year. The repetition of a year may be granted by the Commission for Scientific and Research Affairs in accordance with the conditions for repeating a year defined by the Statute of the University of Maribor.
Conditions for the Completion of the Study
Students complete their studies after having fulfilled all the duties envisaged under the Study Programme and written and defended the Doctoral Dissertation successfully and, thus, collected a total of at least 180 ECTS.
Criteria regarding the required scientific activities of the PhD students before the promotion
In accordance with Article 157 of the Statute of the University of Maribor, before defending a Doctoral Dissertation or at last before promotion, a candidate has to publish the findings of his/her doctoral work in internationally recognised scientific journals indexed in the JCR or in one of the world’s languages.
The graduate of the Doctoral Study Programme is a top-expert with the theoretical and practical knowledge necessary for research, management and implementation of demanding professional tasks from the personnel and educational fields. In addition to that, the graduate is also able to take on the most demanding duties deriving from research, analysing, planning, designing, development, managing, and evaluation of personnel and educational systems, both in the state, non-government as well as the commercial organizations.
The subject-specific competences acquired by the students:
- Knowledge of the advanced work analysis methods and the ability to synthesise new methods of analysis,
- Knowledge and the ability to use more complex methods in order to calculate the number of required personnel,
- The ability to synthesise the complex systems of internal communication,
- The ability to synthesise the complex salary systems,
- The ability to synthesise the complex educational systems,
- The ability to plan complex evaluations of education,
- The ability of a scientific approach to the research of employee satisfaction, organizational atmosphere, organizational culture parameters, work motivation, creativity and relationships, and communication among the employees,
- Mastery of general and specific methods and the use of personnel expert tools for the selection of key people,
- Mastery of scientific methods of discovery of needs for new knowledge,
- The ability of professional support to the knowledge management processes,
- The ability to manage the innovation processes,
- The ability to innovate the personnel and educational processes,
- The ability to lead and manage the complex personnel systems and educational organizations,
- The ability to lead and realise the personnel and educational projects,
- The ability to design the personnel and educational strategy and development policy of the organization.
Scientific research of social phenomenon
Kljajić Borštnar M., Žnidaršič A.
Human Resource Systems
Ferjan M., Podbregar I. 9 20 Transferable knowledge Kljajić Borštnar M., Žnidaršič A 6 10 Individual Research Work In collaboration with mentor 6 Modern organization and management theories Kovač J., Šprajc P. 9 10 Individual Research Work I In collaboration with mentor 12 Elective subject 9 10
First Year - Elective subjects * (student selects one of the following elective subjects) * :
Staffing Organizations Vukovič G., Marič M. 9 10 Development and Education of Human Resources Jereb E. 9 10 Internal communications Ferjan M. 9 10 Advanced Topics in Strategic Human Resource Planning Bernik M. 9 10 Digital marketing strategies Vukovič G., Marič M. 9 10 Risk management theory Podbregar I., Šprajc P. 9 10
* the student can selects the elective subjects of the 1st year also in the range of the elective subjects in the 2nd year
Individual Research Work II In collaboration with mentor 21 Individual Research Work III In collaboration with mentor 30 Elective subject 9 10
Second Year - Elective subjects (student selects one of the following elective subjects):
Advanced Quality Management Systems Maletič D. 9 10 Ergonomics in Digital Engineering Balantič Z. 9 10 Business Process and Project Management Kern T. 9 10 Management of development process Maletič M., Roblek M. 9 10 Sustainable organization and innovativeness Maletič M., Senegačnik M. 9 10 Role of natural science and technology in organizational sciences Senegačnik M. 9 10 Mastering Supply Chains Roblek M., Mežnar D. 9 10 Decision Theory and systems for decision support Rajkovič U. 9 10 Knowledge Discovery From Data Rajkovič V., Kljajić Borštnar M. 9 10 Digitalization of business models Pucihar A. 9 10 Software engineering Leskovar R. 9 10 Information System Development: Methods and Techniques Rajkovič U., Werber B. 9 10 System Dynamics and Development of Strategies Škraba A. 9 10 System reliability, availability and information security Brezavšček A. 9 10 Organization and management in the digital age Kovač J. 9 10 Advanced quantitative methods in organizational sciences Žnidaršič A. 9 10 Network analysis Jerebic J. 9 10 Basics of Cybernetics Ivanuša T. 9 10 Advanced optimization methods in organizational systems Kofjač D., Brezavšček A. 9 10
ECTS Individual Research Work IV
In collaboration with mentor
30 PhD Thesis (Dissertation) In collaboration with mentor 30